Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Stuff I Ate

Here are a few random things I've been eating!

Probably the most exciting meal lately was this awesome Taco Night plate prepared by my awesome dad. Since he's semi-retired, he's started cooking dinner for my mom so it's ready when she gets home from work. My dad was never a cook before, so this is all new, and he's really got some serious talent that we didn't know was there. He made Vegan Tacos with seasoned Gardein beef, Daiya, and all the fixins. Plus, he made some special-recipe Air Fryer Vegan Taquitos! He made me a bunch to stash in my freezer, but I accidentally drove off and left them at my parents' house. So sad! I'll have to go back and visit soon and pick them up!


By the way, I plan to get his recipe for the taquitos soon, and I'll share! Also, for that dinner, my mom made Vegan Queso using the new Daiya cheeze sauce with canned Rotel, plus some awesome homemade guac. And she ordered takeout chips and salsa from their neighborhood Mexican restaurant. Oh, and mama made Spanish Rice too.

I got several great meals out of the leftovers. I made burritos for a couple days with the leftover beef and Daiya.


And the queso and salsa made the perfect Saturday afternoon "cleaning the house" snack. I have to snack when I'm cleaning. It's the only way to clean, y'all. You just get a bite or two after each room. Food is an excellent motivator.


Speaking of snacks, here's the last ever Cashew Cheddar & Carrot Bacon Bun from Lulu's Baked. Don held his last Saturday market a couple weeks ago. So sad to see him go! But he's moving on to awesome-r things that will do more to improve vegan options in Memphis, so stay tuned! More on that soon!


Here's another fun snack — Activated Turmeric, Coconut, & Lime Pepitas from Moon Juice. I scored these at Delta Groove Yoga. They sells lots of Moon Juice stuff!


I was weirdly craving Buckwheat Pancakes and Vegan Sausage Friday night, so I decided I'd have that as my pre-bootcamp breakfast on Saturday morning. Luckily, I had Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat Pancake Mix in the pantry and Field Roast Apple-Maple Sausages in the deep freezer. Sometimes, it pays to be a food hoarder.


I had my third trail race on Sunday — the Stanky Creek 8K (plus an extra 3-mile training run on my own to get in my 8-mile long run for the day). Before the event, I had some Oatmeal with Sugar Cookie Peanut Butter, Maple Syrup, & Blackberries. The peanut butter was by Wild Friends, and I found it on sale at Natural Grocers in Jonesboro. Also, guess what? I loved the 8K so much that I signed up for the Stanky Creek 50K (in September) later that night!!! It'll be my first 50K (that's about 31 miles), so I'm pretty excited and also nervous.


Here's Monday's breakfast — Gena's Savory Oats with Tempeh Sausage and Everything Hummus. I just discovered Sprouts Everything Hummus, and it's the greatest thing ever. It's like an everything bagel, but it's hummus. I can't wait to try it on an everything bagel with TJ's bagel seasoning and have my MIND BLOWN.


And finally, here's an awesome fried tofu plate from Pho Binh. I met my old co-workers Susan, Toby, and Justin there for lunch last Thursday. All of this awesomeness is from their buffet — lemongrass tofu, green bean tofu, and tofu veggie stir-fry, plus cabbage soup!


6 comments:

Kristin said...

sugar cookie peanut butter!? that sounds amazing. that's also so awesome that your dad started cooking. the tacos look great!

Sarah said...

How cool that your dad discovered his talent for cooking! And even better that you benefit from it ;) Taco night looks amazing and that queso dip! Yum! Sugar cookie peanut butter sounds incredible too and how sad that Lulu's isn't going to be there anymore! The tofu plate looks awesome too.

Congrats on signing up for the 50k! What an incredible accomplishment that will be!

Hillary said...

That taco plate looks so amazing! What a wonderful dad! I want to take a huge bite out of that burrito!!!

Susan said...

That looks like such a great dinner that your dad made!
I am sad to hear no more cheddar and carrot bacon buns, though looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Jennifer said...

Geez...I thought I was hungry BEFORE I started visiting my blogging buddies...it's all I can think about now! LOL :)

Everything looks amazing! I'd gobble it ALL up!

Unknown said...

Wow, that’s really exciting and awesome that your dad is doing some vegan cooking!! I totally love how that meal was a collaboration of what he made and what your mom made and what they outsourced to the professionals (which is a good call when it comes to seriously awesome chips and salsa)

I can’t believe you signed up for such a crazy long race!! Although obviously you enjoy the races so it’s certainly something to look forward to and will be a HUGE accomplishment.
I was so lucky that when Wild Friends was just barely starting out they had a promotional offer and i bought like eight jars of their various flavors for a good value for such a great product and i gave several as holiday gifts that year. I wish the cookie butter was always available! The sesame cranberry peanut butter is really fabulous, i order it from jet.com
https://jet.com/product/Wild-Friends-Natural-Peanut-Butter-Sesame-Cranberry-16-Oz/ef2fa2e63f5342bc8248dc96d9c8b664
Ttrockwood