Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Savory Black Bean & Spinach Hot Quinoa Cereal

When we think of hearty, steamy morning bowls, we tend to think of oatmeal. And we tend to imagine it dressed up with brown sugar or maple or some other sweet thing. Even though I do enjoy sweets in the morning sometimes (especially smoothies!), I always prefer a savory breakfast over a sweet one. I also get a little bored with oats.

Enter I Heart Keenwah's Toasted Quinoa Hot Cereal. The amazing Natalie at I Heart Keenwah mailed me a few samples of this oatmeal alternative, and I've enjoyed it in both savory and sweet bowls. There's a plain version (with no sweetener) and a lightly sweetened version (with lucuma powder, which adds a hint of sweetness without any added calories).


I tried the lightly sweetened toasted quinoa cereal in a sweet bowl with Bee-free Honee, Wow Butter soynut butter, and local, organic boysenberries. The lucuma is so mildly sweet that, if you want a sweeter bowl, it's best to add additional sweetener, hence the bee-free honee. But it's nice that you have the option of serving it with just a hint of sweetness, if desired.


The texture is closer to cream of wheat than oats. It's very creamy, and there's little need to chew. It's also incredibly filling, more so than oats in my opinion. I've been eating these bowls for breakfast, and they keep me full well beyond my usual morning snack time.

While I do enjoy the sweet, nutty bowls, my favorite way to eat this toasted cereal is in a savory application. I cannot get enough of these Savory Black Bean & Spinach Hot Quinoa Cereal bowls. I use the unsweetened version for this.


Black beans from a can and frozen spinach make this a breeze to throw together on a busy morning. Hummus and avocado take the creamy factor up to 11. And hot sauce ties it all together. Here's my recipe!

Savory Black Bean & Spinach Hot Quinoa Cereal
Serves 1

1/2 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa Hot Cereal (unsweetened)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/4 cup black beans
Soy sauce, to taste
2 Tbsp. hummus (any flavor)
1/4 avocado, sliced
Hot sauce

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. While the water is boiling, combine the frozen spinach and black beans in a small skillet with a splash of water. Saute until spinach is thawed. Add a splash of soy sauce (or Bragg's or tamari or coconut aminos!) to taste.

When the water in the saucepan is boiling, stir in the toasted quinoa cereal and allow to boil for two more minutes or until thickened into a porridge-like consistency.

Stir in the black beans and spinach. Season to taste. Transfer to a bowl and top with hummus, avocado, and hot sauce.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

I like the savory bowl myself. I've always been a savory breakfast person myself. I haven't seen this anywhere, but I'll keep my eye out. Especially if it sticks with you longer than oats. Oats fill me up, but not for as long as other meals which is why I don't eat oats often.