Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Very Crunk Christmas Breakfast

Omg, Christmas is just right around the corner! I just finished wrapping all my family's gifts, and I've handed out almost all of my friends' homemade gifts. But god, I am so ready to just be at my parents' house, opening gifts, and stuffing my face. The whole holiday preparation situation is just way too stressful.

We don't do a traditional Christmas dinner. We open gifts on Christmas Eve and go out for Chinese. And then on Christmas morning, we head to Granny's, and she makes a big ole Christmas breakfast. And yes, there are vegan versions of everything! No matter what your tradition, you've gotta eat some breakfast. Most important meal of the day, so tonight, I'll share with you a few morning meal ideas from my cookbook, Cookin' Crunk.

This will be my last holiday plug in the Crunk for the Holidays series, but in case you don't already have it, my book contains about 150 recipes for delicious vegan Southern comfort dishes, all based on recipes I grew up eatin' in my Arkansas hometown. So if you're looking for a good (belated) holiday gift, you can find signed copies here on my blog (just click the PayPal link on the right side of the page) or you can get 'em at a discount on Amazon, because Amazon.

Anyway, on to those breakfast ideas. Of course, no breakfast is complete with Tofu Scramble! I just recently gave away a jar of my tofu scramble seasoning, but you can still make your own using this recipe from Cookin' Crunk.


And bacon! My recipe for Tempeh Bacon is only in the book, not online. But it's super-simple and a nice wholesome alternative to packaged vegan bacon.


Biscuits and gravy are a must. I mean, is Christmas really Christmas without gravy? You could always go with a traditional Sausage-Sage Gravy. Recipes for the gravy and the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits are in the book.


Or turn biscuits and gravy into dessert with Chocolate Gravy! You can find that recipe here (and also in the book).


Don't forget the potatoes! My Sweet Potato Hash (in the book) offers a unique autumn spin on the typical white potato hash browns. Plus, it has vegan beef (either homemade or storebought) for added protein.


Feeling lazy? You could just throw everything in a casserole dish and call it a morning. Here's my recipe for Breakfast Casserole! There's a layer of bread, a layer of tofu scramble, a layer of vegan sausage, and a layer of noochy sauce.


Alright, you should be full by now! Now go open some presents! Happy holidays! I'll be taking a blogging break for the rest of the week, but I'll be back with a Christmas recap on Sunday!

1 comment:

The Preppy Vegan said...

YUM! I may have to make that casserole for a New Year's brunch I'm headed to. #score.